Home Attractions Things To Do Photos Towns Advertisers

Fort Dodge

About the fort: The site that is now Ford Dodge dates back to 1847, when Fort Mann was established at the Cimarron Crossing on the Santa Fe Trail, a few miles west of present day Fort Dodge.
Fort Dodge was garrisoned in April 1865 at a critical point between two major Indian crossings on the Arkansas River: Mulberry Creek to the east and the Cimarron Crossing to the west. Garrisoned troops lived primarily in dugouts for the first couple of years, and permanent buildings were not completed until 1867.
During its heyday, the fort served as a rest and supply stop for travelers until it was abandoned in October 1882. Then in 1885, the U.S. Department of the Interior managed the property until January 1890, when it was deeded to the state and converted into a soldiers' home.
The original stone buildings are still in use today.
Where: Fort Dodge is 2 1/2 miles east of Dodge City on U.S. Highway 54/400.
Hours: The museum/library is open May 1 to Sept. 30 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and from 1 to 4 p.m. From Oct. 1 to April 30, the museum/library is open form 1 to 4 p.m. daily.
The Fort Dodge Sutler's Store and Café is open from 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
The museum/library is closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
Cost: Tourism to the fort is free, but donations are accepted.
Special events: Special events include a jamboree that is open to the public and takes place on the second and third Saturdays of each month from 5 to 8:30 p.m. The jamboree is in Eisenhower Hall Auditorium. There is no charge for admission, although donations are accepted. Musicians and singers are welcome.
Contact: For more information about the fort and special events, call (620) 227-2121.
Home Attractions Things To Do Photos Towns Advertisers